Mapping USAA Accounts

Brendan Coupe brendan at coupeware.com
Fri Aug 13 21:40:09 BST 2021

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 1:08 PM Jack via KMyMoney-devel
<kmymoney-devel at kde.org> wrote:

> Brendan,
>
> On 2021.08.13 13:34, Brendan Coupe via KMyMoney-devel wrote:
> > I am running a very recently compiled version of KMM from the git 5.1
> > branch on Fedora 34 using KDE / Xorg. AqBanking is version 6.2.9.0,
> > Gwenhywfar is version 5.6.0.0.
> >
> > Until late last year, KMM worked well with USAA accounts. They made
> > big changes and broke OFX Direct Connect.
> >
> > GnuCash has updated their code to work with USAA via AqBanking. See
> > the following link for details on how to set it up.
> >
> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/OFX_Direct_Connect_Bank_Settings#USAA
> >
> > I followed these instructions and they eventually worked. There
> > appears to be a glitch in the account list retrieval process which I
> > finally figured out how to work around.
> >
> > Basically, you have to grant Quicken access to USAA and then use the
> > username (called ACCESS ID by USAA), password (called ACCESS PIN by
> > USAA) and include the client_id, converted to all uppercase.
> >
> > I got this to work and was able to import my savings and checking
> > account transactions from the past 6 months. Unfortunately they are in
> > GnuCash, not KMM so that's not really helping me. Switching to GnuCash
> > after using KMM for more than 15 years is not an ideal option and
> > since I can't find a way to import all of my mapped accounts at once
> > in GnuCash, it would be a big step backward from KMM in my view.
> If you really get stuck, can you create a GnuCash instance for only
> that account, use it to import transactions, and then export those
> transactions for import into KMM?  I know it's overly convoluted, but
> it might be a temporary workaround until we figure out how to restore
> access for you.

I thought about that since importing CSV files from USAA into KMM is
annoying but it may not save me any time.
I may give it a try.

> > I tried using ofximporter in KMM with all of the details that worked
> > in GnuCash but it failed to access my accounts. There is nowhere to
> > enter Application ID: QMOFX or HTTP User Agent: InetClntApp/3.0 in the
> > mapping setup so I assume those are important details.
> I don't use kbanking/aqbanking, so I can't add anything on that side,
> but have you tried to use the kbanking importer in KMM?  That should
> allow a closer match to using the details which worked for GnuCash.
> With the ofximporter, when you are entering or editing the online
> details for an account, if you choose one of the "(expert)" entries for
> the "Identify as" dropdown, you get a text box where you can enter the
> "QMOFX".   I'd be very interested if that works, as the usual value for
> "Quicken Windows 20xx" is "QWIN:zz00" where zz is 12 plus xx (so for
> 2019 -> QWIN:2800.)  That seems to be how most banks enforce only
> supporting the last few years of Quicken.

I guess I wasn't clear. I tried mapping with both ofximporter and kbanking.

kbanking was already setup since it uses the aqbanking settings that I
got to work on GnuCash. The KMM crash happens when I attempt to import
an account that was mapped with kbanking/aqbanking.

I tried expert mode (ofximporter) before my first email. I tried both
QMOFX and 2300 in the "Identify As" box. Both failed. Both appear to
be required in aqbanking but ofximporter only has one box to fill in.

>From the GnuCash instructions:
 Application ID       QMOFX
 Application Version  2300
 Header Version       103

The exact same settings (QMOFX & 2300) in AqBanking work in GnuCash
but cause KMM to crash. Does AqBanking work normally, I've never tried
to use it before today.

I guess I can try remapping one of my other accounts with kbanking and
see what happens.