Feature Request

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jun 6 22:42:55 BST 2020

On 2020.06.06 16:25, kevin wrote:
> Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.8
> KMyMoney 5.0.0  (Repository)   Linux (x86_64) release 5.3.0-53-generic
>
> I have a big ask please.
>
> I'm a relatively recent convert to Linux and a very recent KMyMoney
> user, after 30+ years of Windows or (Wine) and Quicken 2004
>
> My eyesight is failing badly but with most applications I get by very
> well with a 26" monitor and the system lens function where
> necessary.  Most of the ledger displays on KMyMoney are great because
> there is a lot of user control, one way or another. However, the 'New
> Transaction' systems give me problems.
>
> I don't seem to have any control of the fonts in the Transaction Form
> and there is an additional difficulty in that it is at the very
> bottom of the screen.  I find this position very difficult to focus
> on with the monitor set up for normal use i.e. important stuff centre
> screen, just below eye level.  In fact, a lot of KMM fine detail is
> tucked away in the very bottom right corner which is even worse.  The
> low contrast (for me) black on grey colour scheme doesn't help.
>
> If I choose to add a new transaction directly, it is again very low
> on the screen and there is an additional difficulty in the colour
> scheme.  The dark green highlighting really does distract badly from
> the text colours used. d.
>
> Any help at all with this problem would be appreciated but my
> preference would be for the whole form to be a centre screen pop-up
> like the current split transaction dialogue.  Perhaps even a
> permanent floating dialogue as used for several functions in GIMP
>
> After all that though I will use KMyMoney as my best replacement for
> Quicken after quick trials of HomeBanking, GnuCash and Skrooge.  Many
> thanks for that, and for any attention to the above request.
>
> Regards
>
> Kevin Dronsfield.

Kevin,

Welcome to KMM.  I have one initial change to suggest, if you haven't
tried it yet.  Go to Setting/Configure KMyMOney to bring up the
configuration dialog.  Click "Ledger" in the left panel.  Unclick "Show
transaction form".  The transaction form disappears, and editing a
transaction happens right in place in the ledger.  New transactions are
still at the bottom of the ledger, but to me it seems at least a bit
higher on the screen than the transaction form.    This doesn't
directly address the font/color/contrast issue, but have you tried
changing those settings?  If they (at least the fonts) affect the
ledger but not the transaction form, report back, and it can be filed
as a bug.  Floating the transaction form could also be filed on
bugs.kde.org as a wishlist item.

Let us know if any of this helps.