KMYMoney Help

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 17 22:11:57 GMT 2020

George,

(taking back to the list)
I do understand how frustrating this is.  I went most of a year with no
online price updates, and my eventual success was by using
Finance::Quote and its yahoo_json source.  Note that Finance::Quote is
not configured on the above page, and it and it's Perl dependencies
need to be installed independent of KMM.  How you do that depends on
which distribution you are using.  We don't have usage statistics to
know what other online quotes sources other users are still having any
success with.

The problem is not in your data, it's in the changes that sites make to
their web pages, often specifically to prevent this type of data
retrieval from working.

Starting from scratch is not likely to help.  The core data used by the
Online Quotes feature is stored in ~/.config/kmymoney/kmymoneyrc the
first time a user runs the program.  Even if you update KMM and it has
updated online quote settings, they will not get applied to an existing
kmymoneyrc file.  You might test by creating a new user, creating a new
KMM file with one investment account and one security, and then trying
each of the sources to see if it will work.  If so, you can find the
relevant entries either in the kmymoneyrc file or using the
Settings/Configure KMyMoney menu, and selecting Online Quotes on the
left.  You can then compare those settings to the ones when you run KMM
as yourself.

If a given source fails to get a date and/or price, you can manually
look at the returned page, using teh URL from that configuration page,
and see if you can modify the regular expressions for Price and Date to
pull out the desired data.  I have tried this myself in the past, and
not been successful, even though I'm reasonably good with regular
expressions.

I really wish there was an easy resolution to this problem, but I don't
know of one.  There are folks out there who continue to try new
approaches, and I'm sure we'll hear if any of them turn out to be
successful.  Then we'll just need to get that work incorporated into
KMM, or even better, into one of the libraries used by KMM and other
finance software.

Jack