Trying to Open File with 5.1 Saved with Master Provides Error

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Aug 2 10:50:45 BST 2020

Joel,

On Sonntag, 2. August 2020 11:11:39 CEST Thomas Baumgart wrote:

> On Sonntag, 2. August 2020 01:09:22 CEST Joel Madero wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Due to investments being totally broken in master build I decided to go
> > back to 5.1 to update my account. I know about the general "do not use
> > master for production" but I do so knowing the risk in order to fully
> > provide QA for open source software.
> >
> > When I try to do anything with my saved kmymoney file in 5.1 (saved
> > using the master build) I get the following error:
> >
> > Uncaught error. Please report the details to the developers
> >
> > Node was not TRANSACTION in file
> > /build/kmymoney-8Tb1zm/kmymoney-5.0.1/kmymoney/mymoney/mymoneytransaction.cpp
> > line 53
>
> While loading the TRANSACTIONS, it reads a node that is not a TRANSACTION.
>
> > If this is a planned non-backward-compatibility bug I think that
> > KMyMoney devs really should put a massive warning on savings files using
> > the master build. If it's unintentional, I'm happy to help debug
> > provided instructions.
>
> No, this is not planned at all.
>
> Debug instructions:
>
> Depending on the size of your file (number of transactions) you can take the
> visual approach by making the file human readable
> (see https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/details.formats.html
> for possible formats - if you did not do anything special, it is gzip compressed).
> For this case, here are the commands
>
>   % zcat your-file.kmy > your-file.xml
>
> then use any editor to look at your-file.xml. Investigate the <TRANSACTIONS> sections
> which must contain a node that is not of type <TRANSACTION>.
>
> If you don't find anything like that, check the <SCHEDULES> section. A <SCHEDULED_TX>
> should also have an embedded <TRANSACTION>.
>
> In case you don't find anything, you can send me an anonymized version of your file
> via private e-mail. See https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/extragear-office/kmymoney/details.formats.anonymous.html
> how to create such a file. You would have to create the file using the master version.
> Check that the file does not contain sensitive information before sending it out.
> Use gzip to compress it (resulting filename does not matter).
>
> Hope that helps.

I just tried to duplicate the problem with no success. Here's what I did using
today's master and 5.1 versions:

a) start 5.1 and save my production data file
b) uninstall 5.1 and install master
c) load production file using master
d) save as a temp file with master
e) uninstall master and install 5.1
f) load temp file

no problem. That does not mean, that there is no problem, but in general it should work.

Testing can only prove the presence of bugs, not their absence.
 -- Edsger W. Dijkstra, 1969

If it's there and you can see it, it's real.
If it's there and you can't see it, it's transparent.
If it's not there and you can see it, it's virtual.
If it's not there and you can't see it, it's gone.