Citi Credit Card OFX Import Nightmare

Brendan Coupe brendan at coupeware.com
Tue Mar 26 16:09:31 GMT 2019

I'm running the latest source code from the master branch.

Until late last year I was able to import my Costco Citi credit card using
OFX direct. They changed something so that it no longer works. It used to
work perfectly so something is different about the ofx/qfx files that they
provide now or something changed in KMM at about the same time.

Since then I have been exporting my qfx/ofx file from the Citi website and
either opening it in KMM directly from Firefox or saving the file and
importing it to KMM manually.

Since I started downloading the qfx/ofx file late last year I have run into
problems with matching previously imported transactions fairly often. It
took a while to find a potential cause of the problem but I may have found
it today.

The default is to import all of the transactions in the current statement
period. This usually works fine for a week or two and then I start getting
duplicate transactions that I imported previously. To minimize the damage I
sometimes restrict the import to more recent transactions. Once I do this
it appears that the problem will happen on every import until the next
month.

I just ran into the problem for the first time in this statement cycle. I
re-imported based on a limited date range. The I tried to cause the
problem. If I use the same date range for the import I don't get any
duplicates, if I change the date range I get duplicates.

Looking at the KMM file and the qfx files I can only find one value that
might be causing the problem.

The two qfx files have the following values set for the same transaction:

<FITID>20190324090005
<FITID>20190324090006

In my KMM file is see the first value 9the one I imported here:

bankid="ID 20190324090005"

The last digit in FITID value in the qfx file appears to be sequential
starting with 1 for the first transaction in the qfx file and incrementing
by 1 for each additional transaction. That is, if there are 10 transactions
in the qfx file the last on ends in 10.

I suspect this is not following the ofx/qfx spec. This happens with both
ofx files and qfx files and with manual import of the file or opening it
with KMM directly from Firefox.

I suspect that at some point during a billing cycle a older transaction
slips in early in the sequential list and screws up every transaction after
it.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this in KMM?

----
Brendan Coupe