KmyMoney 5.0.0

Dean Albert deanmalbert at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 21:34:47 GMT 2019

Hi,

I am using KmyMoney version 5.0.0.  I got it from Linux Mint 19.1 Mate.
Synaptic was used to install it. Synaptic calls the version 5.0.1-2.
That is incorrect.  5.0.0 is right as that is on the welcome screen and
under "About".

I have some easy to fix (I think) bugs with the program.

I have been using it for 8-10 years.  I don't use checks much, but I do
use the "No." column all the time for other reasons.

In earlier versions of KMM, I was able use the check number which would
auto increment, but I was also able to use repeating numbers to signify
debit card transaction numbers.  (I have to keep track of them for some
bank programs.)  When I put in a duplicate "check number" a warning
would popup saying: "Check number xxx has already been used in account
xxxxxxxxxxx.  Do you want to replace it with the next available number?
NO or YES".  I would click "NO" and I would be able to reuse that number.

Every month for example I would run the numbers from F1,F2,... to F12.
Then, I would do the same numbers the next month.  It was a way of
keeping track of the debit card transactions.  I can not do that anymore
and it is making working with KMM a real pain.

1)  The 5.0.0 program has a button under KMM Ledger, Data Entry called
Auto Increment Check Number.  The button is there to allow you to turn
OFF auto increment.  However, it does NOT work.  Nor would I want it to,
as when I write a check, I would not want it to duplicate a number.

When I want to use the same check number or debit card transaction
number, etc.,  I get the same warning about duplicate check numbers as
before, but when I click "NO" meaning let me reuse the check number, it
ignores my selection and no number is allowed to be put in the box!  It
does not allow the repeat of the number even though it gives you a
choice.  It does NOT work properly.   I ran into this when I tried KMM
on Windows.  In previous Linux & KMM versions I was able to repeat check
numbers with no issues.

     SOLUTION:

     A)  Please get rid of the Auto Increment button and leave the
default as Auto Increment Check Number.  That way people who want to
auto increment their check numbers can.

         Getting rid of the button means you don't have to fix it, as it
is useless anyway.

     B)  When you try to duplicate a check number and the warning comes
up telling you that you are about to use a duplicate check number, allow
the user to click the "NO" button and duplicate the number if they
desire.  It they want

         Auto Increment, they click the "YES" button.

2)  I have been forced to use Tags as a way around this. However, there
are issues with Tags.  First the field is too long.  It takes up a lot
of the Memo field.  I use the Memo field to copy & paste confirmations
of  bills that I pay.  It is the most important field in the entire
program and should be the largest field.  Now, it is difficult to see
what I am doing as the height is not as tall as it was.  I also use the
"No." field to paste the receipt of the check I paid through the bank.
This works only because the confirmation numbers are always changing.
It is theoretically possible for two to be the same at some point in the
future.  If you don't have the duplicate check number warning "NO & YES"
options working, you could not enter a duplicate confirmation number
either.

Using Tags take longer as I have to go to a drop down field for the
correct Tag.  Since I have multiple bank accounts, the number of Tags is
quite large. 68 in my case.

     SOLUTION:

     C)  Please allow users to turn Tags On or Off if they don't want to
use them.

     D)  Make the Tag field less intrusive if you insist on having them.

I have been in contact with one of your developers, Brendan Coupe.  He
has been very helpful on this subject.  He told me I should report bugs
to the development team.  I was reporting them through the KMM program
whch sent me to the KDE bug site.  That's why I am writing to you now.

He is using a different version of KMM than I am am, so he was not able
to duplicate the bugs I ran into.  He is using 5.0.2.

I am not a Linux wiz.  I can not change to 5.0.2 or anything that uses a
.tar.gz file.  I have no clue how to compile or figure out which
dependencies to use, much less find them.  I use Synaptic to do this.
Apparently, it is Mint version specific.  I can use the terminal if if
am told what to write in each line.

He said the following:

"I don't think there is much the developers can do if you have no way of
getting
a more recent KMM package for your system. 5.0 was extremely buggy as
expected
but most issues have been resolved in 5.0.1 and 5.0.2. I think your best
bet
may be to compile from source which I may able to help you with.

I have been using a script to build KMM from source on Linux for many
years. I
have been modifying the script recently to make it more user friendly in
hopes
of sharing it with other KMM users. As written now you can build from the
Master, 5.0 and 4.8 branches of the git repository. I hope to add
building from
released tarballs eventually.

Please note, you have to install all dependencies manually before the build
script will complete successfully. It's not always easy to get all the
correct
packages installed but sharing your error messages on the mailing list
usually
helps.

Let me know if you are interested in trying to run the BuldKMM script. It's
very safe to run, it does not do anything to change your system (no sudo
commands). It builds from source in a clean folder. It's also in the
best shape
to share.

If it works then I will try to get the Install script in better shape to
share.
It does modify your system and it's best to uninstall any kMM package
that you
have installed before running it.

If you are not on the KMM developer mailing list please join it so that
we can
troubleshoot the scripts in the open."

Thanks for your time.

Dean Albert