Trouble compiling KMM 5.0 and Master Branch on new Fedora 29 system

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 12 23:57:30 GMT 2018

The build option that is not supported is doing the build right in the
top source dir, called an "in source" build.  Having the build dir
below that or outside that are both OK as far as I can tell.  Both are
called "out of source builds" or something like that.  If you build
from tar or clean up the whole thing after building from a git clone,
then your way make perfect sense.  I maintain my copy of the git
repository, and alternately check out master and 5.0 branches.  I have
several build directories - for master vs. 5.0, for debug on or off,
for testing ninja vs. make, etc.  I actually have more than one
directory to install different versions at the same time.  In my case
making build directories within the repository would probably work, but
I prefer to keep the source tree clean.  I'm also not sure if I would
need to put anything in .gitignore to keep "git status" from pointing
out all the "extraneous" stuff.

The thing that changed might have been either cmake or make.  It is
make that is failing, but it is possible that cmake changed how it
writes out that makefile.  As long as we now know what the issue is, we
can avoid it, and recognize it if anyone else complains in the future.
I wish I had enough spare time to try it with various versions of both
make and cmake, but reality says that is not going to happen.

Jack