Future of Alkimia

Christian David christian-david at web.de
Wed May 16 19:04:58 UTC 2018

Hello Lukasz, Thomas, Jack and Thomas,

I am afraid that this discussion could just end without any decision. So let
me sum up what we have until now:

1) Alkimia is only used by KMyMoney. So using it as a separate library is not
useful.

2) For eight years no feature was added that makes alkimia of interested for
other software developers.

3) Instead of dropping Alkimia we could make it useful (for the first time).

Is that a good representation?

So I recommend: we wait until 23rd of October 2018 (this is in 6 months). If
there is no new feature¹ then we drop it. Knowingly that the git repository,
the wiki etc. will still be kept and can be reactivated if needed.

I want to highlight that this does not mean that the ideas behind alkimia are
bad nor that the work which went into it were senseless! I spent a lot of time
with alkimia, too!

Btw: the first svn commit to Alkimia was on Sun May 23 13:15:55 2010 (8 years
- 1 week ago).

Best
Chris

¹ A feature that makes alkimia of real interest to other programs