Encrypted File Problem

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jul 20 19:23:12 BST 2018

On Freitag, 20. Juli 2018 19:59:00 CEST Brendan Coupe wrote:

> I enter the passphrase in the console when I decrypt manually on both
> my desktop and laptop.
>
> I normally run LXDE but I tried from KDE & GNOME and had the same problem.
>
> I made sure all of the package groups on my laptop are installed on my
> desktop. I have not compared package to package yet.
>
> gpg-agent is running on both.
>
> Keep in mind this is two problems. Encryption is completely missing
> from the KMM settings on my desktop. It's there on my laptop. I am
> able to encrypted files on my laptop but I can not open them with KMM.
>
> 1) What causes KMM to not include the encryption settings tab in the
> KMM settings (my desktop)?

Here is the code that checks if GPG is available or not:

bool KGPGFile::GPGAvailable()
{
  GpgME::initializeLibrary();
  bool rc = (GpgME::checkEngine(GpgME::OpenPGP) == 0);
  // qDebug("KGPGFile::GPGAvailable returns %d", rc);
  return rc;
}

> 2) What prevents KMM from recognizing a file is just encrypted when I
> try to open it the next time (my laptop)?

Not sure. Can you send me the output of the following command:

  % od -c xxx.kmy | head

Replace xxx with the name of your file.

Software has no brain - user your own!