problem with investment accounts in git master

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 1 01:19:07 UTC 2018

I was trying to create a test kmy file to demonstrate some problems I
am having, even after Thomas fixed the issue of creating incorrect
payees when importing investment OFX statements, and discovered two
additional issues, not actually related.

First, if you create a new investment account, and put an amount in the
box for Opeining Balance, it uses that number as Add Shares (with value
of 1), and does NOT let you set an Opening Balance for the Brokerage
account.   Given that KMM does not allow cash in the actual investment
account, I would say it is wrong to allow any Opening Balance for the
investment account, since I doubt those shares will ever be what
someone actually expects.  Related to this, I will try to come up with
a better label for the box regarding the Brokerage Account, since I
think it really needs to be explicit that KMM does not allow cash in an
investment account, even though many real brokers do.

Second, once you create the investment account, if you add a
transaction of type "Add Shares" as soon as you enter the Security
Name, it offers to let you create the security.  If you go through that
wizard, it returns you to the Add shares transaction, but Enter is not
enabled, because it does not think the security exists yet.  If you
then go to the Investment View, (you might have to cancel or save the
add shares transaction first) it looks like the new security is there,
but you can't really do anything with it, and if you go back to the
ledger, it sometimes (it's not been completely consistent for me) asks
if you want to save or cancel (but it's not clear to me at that point
which transaction it's talking about.)

I have gotten as far as no transactions in the investment account, but
the apparently identical security present three times in the Investment
View.

I have tried both Stock and Mutual Fund with the same result.

Also, when returning to the ledger after creating the security, either
the Enter nor the Cancel icon are selectable, which doesn't make sense
to me.

Am I doing something strange, or is there something funny going on here?