KMM fails in Mageia6

Michael Berger idest at online.de
Mon Sep 4 16:34:46 UTC 2017

On 09/03/2017 09:34 PM, Jack wrote:
> On 2017.09.03 04:02, Michael Berger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Mageia6 KDE; using KMM version 4.8.0; KDE 4.14.35
>>
>> > Settings > KDE language settings: dialog does not show up (no
>> errors/no warnings)
>>
>> KMM appears to behave normal in the beginning!!! but starts to
>> produce garbled results in some accounts while it behaves normal in
>> others. Repair apparently is not possible any more after the first save.
>>
>> Continuing to work results in more destruction and/or data loss.
>>
>> After a nightly repair of my data file I tried working in openSUSE
>> Leap 4.2 and found a normal behavior (so far!?).
>>
>> Alternatively one can fall back to KMM in Mageia5.
>>
>> Any indications as to when a repair will be done?
>>
>> Thanks for this otherwise great application!
>>
>> Michael
>>
> There can't be any repair until the developers know what is actually
> broken.  You will need to provide more information.
>
> Have you reported this to Mageia?  My first thought is a packaging
> issue, especially for the missing language settings.  For that, can
> you run KDE System Settings, and make your changes there?  If not,
> then you are either missing some underlying KDE package, or there
> might be a problem with your base KDE install.
>
> When you say a nightly repair of your data file, what exactly do you
> mean?   Also, can you give more details on the nature of the data
> destruction or loss?
>
> Can you create a  simple test .kmy file, save a copy, then save it
> with bad data?  If so, providing the original and bad versions might
> let someone get a better idea of what's wrong.
>
> Jack
Hi Jack,
I'd brought this problem to the attention of Thomas Baumgart. At first
he suspected this to be my own or my system's mistake. Two days later he
sent me a message telling me it was indeed a bug specific to  Mageia6.
Unfortunately, I meanwhile had deleted the respective correspondence
with Thomas.
But I can tell you that after I repaired that very KMM data file back in
Mageia5, I was also able to use it in openSUSE Leap 4.2 without any problem.
So, after working with KMM in openSuse for a couple of days I can
confirm that the problem is specific for KMM running in Mageia6 . After
all, Mageia6 comes along with some new internal constructions and
dependencies (sorry, I am a layman and cannot explain better).

My e-mail to the list was simply meant as a warning to other users.

Cheers,
Michael

PS: the nightly repair was to delete quite a number of wrong/defect
entries an re-enter them one by one again based on my  Bank's original
accounts data.