OFX Import Bug

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jan 10 21:04:25 UTC 2017

Brendan,

I wish I knew more about the software the banks actually use, but that
is not likely to happen.  I'm not surprised that the manual download
might be different from the direct connect download - but that's just
based on experience.  I would think they were generated by the same
software - but obviously called with different parameters - or
something.

I know of no essential difference between QFX and OFX, other than the
"Q" implying Intuit/Quicken had something to do with it.  My guess is
perhaps differences in max length of some of the fields, like the
memo.  I also wouldn't expect a single bank to produce both - I've seen
them offer one or the other, probably depending on who they buy/lease
their OFX server software from.

I have no explanation for the dates you are seeing.  I also agree the
probability of a useful response from the bank's tech support line is
slim to none - but it might be interesting if they have any response
when you tell them you are getting very different end dates from the
two different download methods.  It would depend at least on whehter
the person you speak to even knows what OFX is.  Otherwise they just
tell you to call Quicken support.

I doubt very much a server will produce different results depending on
what you send in the request header - I suspect it only affects whether
they accept the request or reject it outright (with a useless error
message, probably.)

Finally, I think the direct connect download is intended to be
transient, so other than mucking in the code, I don't know that you
will (easily) be able to save it - but I believe it lives briefly
somewhere under /tmp.  I suspect what you end up with under /home/thb
is close, depending on the original purpose for saving it there.  Also
remember, direct connect does not download any "files."  It is a
communication specification, meant for direct use.  If the software
happens to save it, the extension is essentially arbitrary.
Formatting clearly doesn't matter - although the content within the
<OFX> tags should be similar, expecially for transaction data, perhaps
allowing for different timestamps.

Jack