More libalkimia problems/questions was: problems compiling 4.8 on system with both qt4 and qt5

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Oct 22 21:20:14 UTC 2016

Am 22.10.2016 um 20:02 schrieb Jack:
> On 2016.10.17 02:44, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>> Am 17.10.2016 um 00:52 schrieb Jack:
>> > Something Alan sent me made me look and think it might have been
>> > because alkimia was compiled with qt5, but I'm no longer sure about
>> that.
>> alkimia >= 5.0.0 fetches Qt5 dependencies into a project using it. You
>> need to revert alkimia to  version <= 4.3.2. Another option would be to
>> (re)add Qt4 support to recent alkimia.
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> I realized that converting libalkimit >= 5.0.0 to use QT4 is probably
> not as good a solution as I was thinking, as it would be a conversion,
> not an addition, so that version would still not be good for the
> frameworks version of KMM.
yes

> So, I figured I would installing 4.3.2 somewhere out of my main tree,
> and point cmake for 4.8 git heat to that version.  However, nothing I
> have tried has worked - it keeps finding the version of libalkimia
> from it's git head (under/usr) instead.  Oddly, it looks like
> CMakeLists.txt has a test and should fail for libalkimia >= 6.0.0 but
> it claims it finds 6.0.9 but is not failing.  Is this a cmake bug, or
> am I not understanding something?
I and Thomas already tried to fix that, but it looks to be complex,
because alkimia switched from 'module' to 'config' mode. See below for a
solution.

> I have tried setting CMAKE_PREFIX_DIR (and several variations) both as
> an environment variable and with -D, and I have tried setting
> LibAlkimia_DIR, but cmake is either ignoring them, or not finding what
> it wants.  Is perhaps part of the problem that prior to 5.0.0,
> libalkimia only produce a FindLibAlkimia.cmake and not and
> ....Config.cmake?
Also see below

> For now, I will uninstall the more recent libalkimia from my main tree
> and install the older version, but I'd prefer to have all the
> frameworks related stuff in my main tree, and any remnant KDE4 stuff
> that cannot coexist installed elsewhere.  On that note, I don't know
> if it is inherent to the alkimia install or to the gentoo ebuild that
> the qt4/kde4 qt5/frameworks versions cannot be installed at the same
> time, since several of the files have identical names in both.
This looks to be a regression of porting anything to Qt5 without taking
into account that stable versions may be maintained longer than expected.

> Am I just trying the impossible?
No, I just pushed a commit to a personal repo at
https://github.com/rhabacker/alkimia, which readd's Qt4 support to
latest version of alkimia. You can build and install alkimia side by
side to the Qt5 variant. You may try that. See the commit log how to
build alkimia in this way.

Ralf