Can't build gitHEAD version on windows

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sun May 15 20:58:58 UTC 2016

I can confirm Jeff's description of the KDE Windows Emerge system.
They rarely create a new .py file for a package.  I haven't figured out
exactly when, but probably only if there are really major changes, such
as the build system for the package.  Otherwise, the .py file just gets
edited to refer to new versions, and to occasionally change the default
version it compiles if you don't specify which verssion (target in
their terminology).  It also handles version specific patches, although
it's not clear to me where any of those patches come from.  I suppose
it's possible, for example, to cherry pick a patch from a newer version
and apply it to the previous version.

One problem with the whole KDE Windows environment is that it seems to
be a bit of a moving target.  I work with it every few months, and I
often spend the first few hours updating my setup to deal with
changes.  Right now, it's running, installing all the pre-reqs for KMM
frameworks branch.  It seems the kdewin developers are concentrating on
getting the frameworks version fully functional, and not doing much
about the kde4 stuff.

Jack