consistency check strangeness

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 1 01:32:40 UTC 2016

I'm currently getting lots of message from the consistency check that I
do not have a stock price set on or before the opening date of the
account (presumably the account of the equity itself, not the
investment account.)  In all cases I have checked so far, there is a
buy transaction on that opening date, but there is no transaction based
price for that date (or on any other date for that price,  when I have
looked.)  I have been able to fix this by editing the transaction and
saving it without making any changes.  That creates the transaction
based price for that date.  I'm pretty sure that those errors have not
been present since I imported those transactions (mostly in 2009 and
2010) but I don't really know when they showed up.  (I often have at
least a few of those messages, and have historically dealt with them in
batches, so I don't always look at them in detail.)

I can think of several ways this could happen, but none of them make
much sense.  I'm pretty sure I have had periods of no messages from
consistency check since adding/importing at least some of those
transactions, so it is not likely I have simply forgotten those
messages have always been present.  I can't imagine the program
deleting any or all of those prices, since there is nothing in common,
except that they are for the initial buy transactions.  I don't think
the date of all or even any of those transactions have been changed,
but in a few cases, I don't see a price for exactly the buy price, even
on a different date.

Can anyone think of anything I might be missing, or is my memory simply
dissolving faster than I realized?