[Kmymoney-devel] Guidance needed please

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Fri Mar 20 11:35:04 UTC 2015

Hi,
>From the looks of that, you were working on the 4.7 branch directly. In
that case, it's better to use rebase.

ie. if you checkout -b a new branch, use rebase and merge
    If you want to quickly fetch a commit from another branch, use
cherry-pick
For example, work on master using checkout-b, rebase, and merge. Later on,
use cherry-pick to copy it to 4.7.

Now, let's see what you did in the specific steps.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:16 AM aga <agander93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alvaro
>
> Thanks for that.  What I doing is based on several emails of yours -
> [Kmymoney-devel]
> Git workflow after backporting to origin/4.6
> 30-06-2012
>
> git checkout 4.7
> git fetch origin && git reset --hard origin/4.7
> git checkout -b backportFixes
> (work on the fixes, cherry-pick from other branches, etc.)
>
> git checkout 4.7
> git cherry-pick -x hash (this is my addition)
>
> If there were multiple commit, cherry picking is not that easy, as you
have to do it in the right. It'd be much better to rebase and merge.

However, it cherry picking worked, all that was left to do was pushing.

The next steps are redundant and prone to cause unnecessary problems when
used together with cherry-pick.