[Kmymoney-devel] Need a solution for a puzzling message

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 01:12:57 UTC 2015

On 07/02/15 23:34, Jack wrote:
> On 2015.02.07 18:08, aga wrote:
>> When a file is being loaded, and any due schedules are being entered,
>> a less than helpful message may be received -
>> "The expected next check number <b>%1</b> has already been used in
>> available number?</center>", num, m_account.name()) +
>> QString("</qt>"), i18n("Duplicate number")".
>> (void TransactionEditor::assignNextNumber(void)) line c.452
>>
>> No indication is given that this relates to a schedule, nor which
>> schedule is involved.  The same code is invoked on creating a new
>> transaction, but in this case, the origin is obvious.  A flag could be
>> created that triggers an expanded message instead, but might there be
>> a better way?
>>
>> Please could someone suggest how best to deal with this?  Obviously, a
>> debug message on the console could help slightly, but might not get
>> noticed.
>>
>> Allan
>
> Not only are console messages often not noticed, if the app is launched
> from a shortcut or main screen or panel icon, they may not even be
> displayed.
>
> Are you saying this happens during automatic processing of schedules at
> startup?

Yes, that's it.  I first realised there was a problem when the message
came up wanting a cheque number when the payment method was Direct
Debit.  I've fixed that bit, but the message doesn't give any clue as to
which of possibly several transactions is involved.
>  That is certainly more of a problem than when the system asks
> if I want to enter an overdue schedule - in which case I do know which
> schedule it is for.  However, could you just add "While processing
> schedule <b>%x</b>, " at the beginning of the existing message?  This
> would not make it much longer.

Well, the problem I foresaw was that the schedule information came from
one class, but the updating of the cheque number was in another.

However, it looks like it's not as much of a problem as I expected and
I've been able to expand the message to be more useful.

> Also, what about adding the actual next
> number that would be used.

I already output the number that was to have been used.
   I can't remember why, but I have a vague
> memory that would have helped me in the past - especially if the next
> number to be used is not simply 1 higher than what it was going to use
> (which can happen if you inadvertently write checks out of order).

There's also the possibility of a different number altogether, if a
different bank/cheque number is used.  Plus some users want to use a
number containing alpha, which also could vary along the way.  In fact,
a record is kept of 'the last number used' although a higher number also
may have been used.  Such is life.

Allan