[Kmymoney-devel] Need a solution for a puzzling message

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 7 23:34:06 UTC 2015

On 2015.02.07 18:08, aga wrote:
> When a file is being loaded, and any due schedules are being entered,
> a less than helpful message may be received -
> "The expected next check number <b>%1</b> has already been used in
> available number?</center>", num, m_account.name()) +
> QString("</qt>"), i18n("Duplicate number")".
> (void TransactionEditor::assignNextNumber(void)) line c.452
>
> No indication is given that this relates to a schedule, nor which
> schedule is involved.  The same code is invoked on creating a new
> transaction, but in this case, the origin is obvious.  A flag could
> be created that triggers an expanded message instead, but might there
> be a better way?
>
> Please could someone suggest how best to deal with this?  Obviously,
> a debug message on the console could help slightly, but might not get
> noticed.
>
> Allan

Not only are console messages often not noticed, if the app is launched
from a shortcut or main screen or panel icon, they may not even be
displayed.

Are you saying this happens during automatic processing of schedules at
startup?  That is certainly more of a problem than when the system asks
if I want to enter an overdue schedule - in which case I do know which
schedule it is for.  However, could you just add "While processing
schedule <b>%x</b>, " at the beginning of the existing message?  This
would not make it much longer.  Also, what about adding the actual next
number that would be used.  I can't remember why, but I have a vague
memory that would have helped me in the past - especially if the next
number to be used is not simply 1 higher than what it was going to use
(which can happen if you inadvertently write checks out of order).