[Kmymoney-devel] new (?) issue with per-split memos when duplicating a transaction

Jack ostroffjh at frontier.com
Sun Apr 26 00:38:41 UTC 2015

I know there have been several discussions regarding issues with memos
being per split and not per transaction.  I think I found another use
case where some sort of user notification would be very useful.  To
demonstrate:  create a transaction which transfers some cash from one
account to another, and enter a memo.  Since it was entered when the
transaction was created, the memo appears in both splits.  Now
duplicate the transaction in one of the accounts, and change the memo.
In the other account, the memo is still identical to the first
transaction, since changing the memo was done after the transaction had
been created.

One possible way to handle this specific case is that when you
duplicate a transaction, if you start with that transaction open for
editing, any changes could be treated as if the transaction was being
initially created, rather than treating it as a later edit.  I'm sure
there are other use cases where this method would make things more
difficult, so I'm offering it for discussion rather than specifically
proposing it be implemented.

Comments and thoughts?