[Kmymoney-devel] New (newly discovered) OFX import problem (thanks - solved)

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 24 16:08:58 UTC 2014

On 2014.09.24 06:47, Allan wrote:
> On 24/09/14 01:42, Jack wrote:
>> The last time I tried to udpate and reconcile my Merrill Lynch
>> investment accounts, several months ago, I gave up in disgust.  One
>> underlying difficulty is that they do not distinguish the investment
>> from brokerage account, as KMM does, so importing (OFX direct
>> connect or downloaded files) into either investment or brokerage
>> account misses some transactions and does strange things with
>> others.  However, I'm pretty sure in the past, that I have imported
>> into the investment account, and been able to delete and edit the
>> imported transactions sufficiently to add a few transactions to the
>> brokerage account and be able to reconcile it.
>>
>> I'm now going back to do this for the past few months, and I find
>> the transactions for the interest on the cash holdings are in some
>> very strange state.  I see four transactions imported into the
>> investment account as dividend transactions on the security "ML BANK
>> DEPOSIT PROGRAM" showing the interest as "Other income:Dividends."
>> Two of them have the account pointing to the associated brokerage
>> account.  While I can change the state of the transactions between
>> not reconciled, cleared, and reconciled, that is all I can do with
>> them.  In both the investment and brokerage accounts, selecting the
>> transaction does not allow deleting or editing.  In fact, most/all
>> old transactions will not allow edit/delete.
>>
>> Then there are two other, essentially identical transactions in the
>> investment account.  I have "accepted" the import, and now cannot
>> edit them to add the brokerage account, nor can I delete them.
>>
>> I suspect I'm going to feel very stupid for not recognizing why I
>> can't do anything with these transactions, but I really don't want
>> to have to resort to manually editing the kmy/xml file.
>>
>> I've managed to save an anon file, and delete most of the irrelevant
>> other accounts, etc - I just hope I haven't deleted too much for it
>> to be useful.  I think I also managed to remove all the
>> reconciliation information.  The investment account is A000149.  The
>> brokerage account is A000150.  The security created by the import
>> A000299/E000087 - which complains about not having a price on
>> opening date.  I may well have deleted the one price for it in all
>> my attempts at troubleshooting this - which I think is why I can't
>> find it on the prices list.  I believe A000006:A000156 is the
>> dividend income category used by these transactions.
>>
>> Another minor issue is that to be able to add an opening date price,
>> I tried to add a new security using the same name and symbol for the
>> problem one, but it never asked if I wanted to use the existing
>> security with that symbol.  (I did this in the regular file, not the
>> anon file.)
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction for dealing with this
>> problem?
>>
> Possibly I'm misunderstanding, but with your anon file, when I opened
> [...]

Bingo!  I had written a long explanation of how I did not get that
tooltip (and there are actually four transactions for that security)
but while trying to figure out even how to reopen that account, I
realized I couldn't even see it to know it was closed, because I was
not displaying closed accounts.  I actually have no idea how I closed
it, unless it was inadvertently done when I deleted its only price
entry.

I wonder if the reason I didn't get that tooltip is becuase I had
"display closed accounts" unchecked.

Another minor point - on the equities tab of the investments view,
there is no indication of whether the account is open or closed.  I
suppose this is OK, and just I'm still confused about the differences
between security accounts and the equities in them.  On the Accounts
View, it is clear that the security account is closed - but only if you
display all the securities under the Investment Account.

Anyway - thanks for the help.  I can now continue deciphering how
Merrill Lynch creates their OFX downloads...