[Kmymoney-devel] New (newly discovered) OFX import problem

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 24 00:42:42 UTC 2014

The last time I tried to udpate and reconcile my Merrill Lynch
investment accounts, several months ago, I gave up in disgust.  One
underlying difficulty is that they do not distinguish the investment
from brokerage account, as KMM does, so importing (OFX direct connect
or downloaded files) into either investment or brokerage account misses
some transactions and does strange things with others.  However, I'm
pretty sure in the past, that I have imported into the investment
account, and been able to delete and edit the imported transactions
sufficiently to add a few transactions to the brokerage account and be
able to reconcile it.

I'm now going back to do this for the past few months, and I find the
transactions for the interest on the cash holdings are in some very
strange state.  I see four transactions imported into the investment
account as dividend transactions on the security "ML BANK DEPOSIT
PROGRAM" showing the interest as "Other income:Dividends."  Two of them
have the account pointing to the associated brokerage account.  While I
can change the state of the transactions between not reconciled,
cleared, and reconciled, that is all I can do with them.  In both the
investment and brokerage accounts, selecting the transaction does not
allow deleting or editing.  In fact, most/all old transactions will not
allow edit/delete.

Then there are two other, essentially identical transactions in the
investment account.  I have "accepted" the import, and now cannot edit
them to add the brokerage account, nor can I delete them.

I suspect I'm going to feel very stupid for not recognizing why I can't
do anything with these transactions, but I really don't want to have to
resort to manually editing the kmy/xml file.

I've managed to save an anon file, and delete most of the irrelevant
other accounts, etc - I just hope I haven't deleted too much for it to
be useful.  I think I also managed to remove all the reconciliation
information.  The investment account is A000149.  The brokerage account
is A000150.  The security created by the import A000299/E000087 - which
complains about not having a price on opening date.  I may well have
deleted the one price for it in all my attempts at troubleshooting this
- which I think is why I can't find it on the prices list.  I believe
A000006:A000156 is the dividend income category used by these
transactions.

Another minor issue is that to be able to add an opening date price, I
tried to add a new security using the same name and symbol for the
problem one, but it never asked if I wanted to use the existing
security with that symbol.  (I did this in the regular file, not the
anon file.)

Can anyone point me in the right direction for dealing with this
problem?