[Kmymoney-devel] category matching/mapping during OFX import

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 24 16:30:39 UTC 2014

On 2014.10.23 19:27, Jack wrote:
> I'm continuing to work through my huge backload of investment account
> OFX imports.  One of the annoyances is that Merrill Lynch uses
> categories such as _Dividend and _Fee, which is how they get imported
> (I think those categories probably got created during such an import,
> but I no longer remember when or how it actually happened.  Is there
> any way to get them to map to the categories I prefer to use for
> those accounts?  Unfortunately it's not completely static.  For
> example, _Fee should always be "Other Fees/Misc Broker Fees" but
> _Dividend depends on which account, whether it's Dividends or Tax
> Deferred Dividends.  Since this is OFX Direct Connect, I don't have
> the opportunity to edit the OFX file on the fly.  Am I just stuck
> with manually adjusting as I confirm the import?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Two additional bits of info.

First, I can rename the payee from "" to "__XXX__" (or whatever I want)
and if I do that, the "Go to '__XXX__'" does appear in the context
menus for the transaction.  However, the payee name still does not
appear anywhere in the transaction form in either the investment or
brokerage account ledger for those transactions.

Second, I just noticed/remembered that I have a number of payees like
"Dividend: Equity Name HOLDING 50.0000 PAY DATE 02/21/2014" which seem
to have been created during one of the imports.  At the moment, I can
easily delete them, since they have no transactions, but I'm not sure
if that is because I deleted and reimported those transactions, or
something I did editing them managed to remove the payee from the
transaction.