[Kmymoney-devel] Transaction entry restrictions

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 11:30:03 UTC 2014

On 18/10/14 12:07, Cristian Oneț wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into this [1] report. I found that since this commit [2]
> made by Allan, an amount is mandatory, one can't add a transaction
> with the split value 0, is this restriction really necessary?
>
> I know that my wife used to add a 0 value transaction as a reminder
> and correct the amount later. I know that a schedule could be used for
> that but it's really a big gun to setup one when all you want is to
> have a transaction for which the amount is not yet known.
>
> Do you have anything against removing this restriction?
>
> Regards,
> Cristian
>
> [1] https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=123274&p=321894#p321635
> [2] https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/office/kmymoney/repository/revisions/94935cf78e0135e2bb0cceff3c0dbde8c1c07e6d

I do get more or less regular transactions with a zero amount.

One is from a bank, with an interest payment, which, these days, is
usually zero.

Another is from a credit card, which is also a loyalty card, where
points are awarded depending on the amount.  Every three months, a
voucher is issued for an appropriate reward amount.  The entry on the
statement is documenting the issue of the voucher for so many points,
the amount of the transaction being zero.

So, at least for the first of those, I think a zero amount is *needed*,
the second less so.

As to whether or not an amount is *needed*, the only point I can make is
that, since practically all transactions will have a non-zero amount,
requiring there to actually be an amount, acts as a reminder to the user
that when entering a transaction, he needs, usually to enter an amount.
  I think that is what I had in mind when I made that change.  I suppose
a tool-tip could prompt the user to think.