[Kmymoney-devel] Feedback

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu May 29 05:24:50 UTC 2014

Peter,

On Thursday 29 May 2014 12:49:12 Peter Stark wrote:

> Have just installed Kmymoney.........or, I think I have, but can't get
> anything that looks like an accounting system.  Many many files listed,
> but where is the actual 'coal face' where I can make entries ?  I am
> used to simply clicking my MYOB program and making entries. Help !!
>
> Looking forward to a simple answer.

For that simple answer, a couple of details are missing in your message. But
we will get there.

Where did you get KMyMoney from? How did you install it?

Looking into my crystal ball, I think you installed the source code. Are there
many files ending in ".cpp" and ".h"? Then that's what happened. Source code
cannot be executed right away. It needs to be brought into a machine
executable format which is usually done using other programs (called compilers
and linkers). Not something you want to do as usual user. Now a few more
questions:

a) which operating system are you using?
b) Is it a *NIX (e.g. Linux) style OS or Microsoft Windows or even Mac OSX?

In either case, there are installable packages containing that machine
executable stuff out there which get you where you want to be (running
KMyMoney). Once we know a little more about your environment, we can give you
more detailed directions.

Hope that gets things started.

Real Programmers don't write in PL/I. PL/I is for programmers who
can't decide whether to write in COBOL or FORTRAN.