[Kmymoney-devel] Two instances at once, was: Debugging plugins

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 30 23:08:08 UTC 2014

On 2014.03.29 18:53, Chris wrote:
[snip....]
> It would appear in KDE you need to pollute your application name
> space to debug a plugin which means you cannot simultaneously have a
> devel version and a release version running at the same time.
Ah, you have run into one of my recurring rants.  I have never
succeeded (on Linux) to install two versions of KMyMoney at once - I
think there are more reasons for that than the one you discovered.
There have been numerous suggestions, and some folks have said they
have done it, but I have still not managed.  I suspect you might do it
with a chroot (which is probably not even be available on Windows) but
I suspect the best answer is to use VirtualBox or some other virtual
environment.

> Ever thought of breaking KMymoney out of the dependency on KDE? It
> would have much wider appeal.
I have certainly thought about this, but on Linux, you can install
KMyMoney with a relatively small portion of KDE to cover only the
absolute requirements.  I'm pretty sure we have folks on this list who
run a primarily Gnome system, but still use KMyMoney.  The minimal
install is perhaps a bit more difficult on Windows, but it is generally
sufficient, except for the relatively uncommon need to debug or desire
to assist with development.  There are some positive things to having a
"home" like KDE, which make separating less desirable for the expected
gain in audience.  I think there would be better use in making the
Windows setup easier.  Also, it might be worth exploring the impacts of
the coming switch to Frameworks - if it will make working on OS-X and
Windows easier, it may be worth accelerating, although I fear it may be
as difficult and painful as the switch from kde3 to kde4.