[Kmymoney-devel] Bitcoin exchange rate

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 13:28:06 UTC 2014

Hi,

I added Bitcoin (BTC) to my list of currencies in KMyMoney and set up a cash
account with currency of BTC to represent my Bitcoin wallet. I then
transferred some money from another account in GBP to the BTC account and was
prompted for the exchange rate. All good so far.

However, the BTC to GBP price has been automatically added to the list of
prices that get updated when I select Update Stock and Currency Prices and the
source has been set up as Yahoo Currency. Yahoo does not show this exchange
rate so I always get a failure when I update all prices.

1. Is it possible to change the source for a currency exchange rate from Yahoo
to something else? Maybe a custom script like I can do for stock prices?

2. Is it possible to remove BTC to GBP from the list of automatic price
updates?

3. Am I setting this up correctly? I did wonder about treating BTC as a stock
with a varying price just like other stocks and shares. I think this would
solve my problem but just doesn't feel right for what is essentially a
currency.

4. If Yahoo Currency is hard coded as a source for exchange rates in KMyMoney
then this might bite us one day. Some flexibility in selecting a source would
be a good idea.

Thanks for any ideas. I'll wait and see if I get any suggestions then maybe
raise a wishlist for this.

Dave.