[Kmymoney-devel] Feature request

Roy O'Kelly roy.okelly at rjokelly.com
Sat Mar 1 22:50:01 UTC 2014

I'm very familiar with double entry and understand the purpose. I confess I have not tried your demo, but the majority of complaints I see from users seem to center on the double entry menus. I would use the same entry menus that Quicken, MS Money and others use. It would be one or two  lines within an account that accepts the category of the expense or an account name if the transaction is a transfer to/from another account e.g. a transfer from checking to cash. It would also have the Payee, amount, and room for a note. It would look a lot like a check.

Since all accounts are reconciled against account statements any entry errors in the amount are quickly caught. Admittedly, categorization errors can occur, but those few errors are of questionable concern and do not justify complicating (what should be) a simple data entry process.  I could never (for example) get my wife to enter the same transaction in two accounts. God forbid I would need to explain debits and credits. Some accounting classes no longer use those terms.

If you want to compete with the Quicken's of the world (and I'd like to see you do that) you cannot have an entry scheme that only an accountant can love.

Regards,
Roy