[Kmymoney-devel] [Kmymoney] [Kmymoney2-user] Moving KMyMoney to another computer

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 30 17:04:46 UTC 2014

On 2013.11.11 02:07, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
[snip...]
> @Jack: maybe we can add a chapter 'Moving KMyMoney to another
> computer' to the docs in case we don't have it in there yet.
>
> On Monday 11 November 2013 12:17:39 you wrote:
>> I'm wanting to move my Kubuntu to another computer, and have looked
>> at the docs on the KMM website, but cannot find anything about files
>> needed for a move/migrate.  (I was sure there was something
>> somewhere ??).

[SNIP...]

>> I did manage to find an old email in my KMM folder, and besides my
>> *.kmy files, there is the configuration file as follows:
> > $KDEHOME/share/config/kmymoneyrc

> > Is that all I need ?  Any "gotchas" with those newer versions of
> KMyMoney ?

> That's all you need. There shouldn't be any gotchas in upgrading from
> 4.6.1 to 4.6.3 (though 4.6.4 is the latest stable release we did a
> few weeks ago). Once 4.6.4 hits the distro repositories that
> shouldn't be a problem either.

Thomas,

I'm finally working on the docs for the new release, and have one
question here.  Are there any potential reasons NOT to move the rc file
and just reconfigure the new version from scratch?  Are there any
potential dangers due to changed format/version/entries?

(Alan - I will also include mention of the two csv rc files.)

I also intend to mention that there may be some items stored by KDE and
not KMM, such as any passwords stored in kwallet.  Migration of such
things is beyond the scope of this manual, and should be addressed at
the level of migrating your entire KDE setup, but most of such items
are stored under $HOME/.kde4.