[Kmymoney-devel] Starting w/o loading plugins possible?

Cristian Oneț onet.cristian at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 17:11:27 UTC 2013

2013/9/27 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>:
> On 2013.09.27 06:38, aga wrote:
> [lots snipped]
>
>> Why are you wanting to run from the /build tree?  Is it to use an
>> alternative version?  If so, what about compiling to a different path?
>

> I don't know Marko's use case, but there is a problem with the way KDE apps
> are compiled and installed, so you can really only have one version present
> at a time.  If you complile a new version, and run it from the build
> directory, you do use the newly compiled program, but all the other stuff
> (plugins, icons, ...) gets pulled from the system location, not from the
> newly compiled version.  To fully test a newly compiled version without
> actually installing it, you would have to use a chroot or a virtual machine.
> I've tried various workarounds in the past (different path, changing
> environment variables before running, rerunning buildsycoca, ...) and I've
> never had it work reliably.  Now, all my testing is either on a completely
> separate machine or in a virtual.

Well that's not quite true, I remember having this discussion already
on the mailing list, it's perfectly possible to run a version of
KMyMoney built and installed in a regular user's directory. I use the
attached script to launch the KMyMoney built and installed as a
regular user with the install dir set in cmake
(/home/cristi/dezvoltare/kmymoney-install). Using this approach one
can have multiple versions of the application. I have a user version
(installed on the system) and a development version, started using
this script or with the proper environment set in a KDevelop launch.

#!/bin/bash
export KDEDIR=/home/cristi/dezvoltare/kmymoney-install
export KDEDIRS=$KDEDIR
export PATH=$KDEDIR/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$KDEDIR/lib/kde4/plugins:$QT_PLUGIN_PATH
/home/cristi/dezvoltare/kmymoney-install/bin/kmymoney -n --config
kmymoneydevelopmentrc --caption "KMyMoney Development Version"
--lang=C

Regards,
Cristian