[Kmymoney-devel] online account balance flagging in ledger

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 20 22:32:31 UTC 2013

On 2013.09.20 18:07, mk-lists at email.de wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> On Sep 20, 2013, at 11:22 PM, Jack wrote:
> > Version 4.6.3 includes a feature (new in that version, I think, but
> possibly older) that if the online statement balance (from an OFX
> import, for example) does not match the local account balance, the
> ledger line displaying the online balance is highlighted in red.  For
> me, most of the time, the online balance matches my cleared balance,
> not the final account balance, so the red is sort of misleading, if
> not just wrong.  I would prefer to not have the line highlighted at
> all, but using a different color would also be OK for me.  First,
> does anybody disagree that this makes sense?  Second, how easy would
> this be to implement.  Third, should I just file a wishlist so it
> doesn't get lost?
>
> I am updating through HBCI and I am very very thankful for this
> highlighting feature, since it tells me immediately when something
> went wrong during data import from the bank.
>
> So, if you don't need this feature I would prefer to have this merely
> freely configurable, because it's valuable for me. I had introduced
> it through Thomas back then [0].
>
> I don't think it should be very hard to implement, since I have done
> similar stuff for the homepage accounts table view options. [1]
> I could have a look into that. File a wishlist issue, if you like.
>
> Greets,
> Marko
>

> [0] Thomas' commit d06f2c4ef10805df5f6378271b804da483518544 in master
> [1] 7a09b9a12368e39a7a1958989e36f5356e9b6278 in master

Marko,

I use OFX-direct connect for several accounts, so I think I find it as
useful as you do.  However, I find any error is usually something I did
rather than an error in the download :-)   Actually - the most common
issue this finds for me is a newly cleared check that KMM does not
match because my original, manually entered transaction is too old.

So - I don't want to turn it off, I just want a slight change to how it
works.  If the online balance does not match either the local balance
or local cleared balance, there is a problem.  Also, if the online
balance matches the local balance, all is probably well, unless you
have any uncleared transactions.  However, if the online balance
matches the local cleared balance, then there is probably no error, so
the red highlight seems unnecessary.  Making it yellow would show there
are outstanding transactions, but probably no errors.

I will file a wishlist later, and try to explain it better.  I agree it
is a useful feature.