[Kmymoney-devel] Review Request 112364: BUG:312816 - Implement resizing of ledger Number column (and others)., and Interest category and amount disappear when new fee entered in Dividend.

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 19:27:44 UTC 2013

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:01:57 -0400
Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 2013.09.10 06:41, Cristian Oneț wrote:
> > > On Sept. 10, 2013, 7:20 a.m., Cristian Oneț wrote:
> > > Allan Anderson wrote:
> > >     I can't give an explanation for why the should differ.
> > > Having
> > previously encountered this same problem some why ago, Thomas
> > advised using the timer.  As before, I started off using a small
> > value, but found that this didn't work in the new near-identical
> > code area. So, I started to increase the delay.  In come cases, I
> > had to use a large delay in order to see that the widget did
> > finally respond.  I then started to reduce the value until failure,
> > and then back-off.  Having got a particular widget finally
> > responding, after further work I found that the problem was still
> > sometimes there and had to make further adjustments.  In many
> > cases, this 'tuning' was revisited.
> > >     When finally all appeared OK, I then found that during
> > > actual
> > window resizing, some widgets would flicker quite badly during
> > their repositioning, depending upon the speed of mouse movement.
> > The only way I could resolve that was by zeroing the widget height
> > instead of hiding it.
> >
> > There must be a simpler way to do this. If this approach is so
> > timing dependent it could be that the solution does not even work
> > on a slower or faster machine/system.
>
> Would it be worth the effort to make a temporary version where the
> timer value is a parameter, so it would be easier for more people to
> test it on different speed machines, without having to recompile
> just to change that value?  If different timer values are needed for
> different widgets, then it begins to smell to me like the timing is
> not really the problem but just a workaround.
>
> Jack

What puzzles me is that in the present version of the
investmenregister, this same 'timing' issue has been there for some
while. I raised BUG:276322 and REVIEW:6791 two years ago -(If an
existing cash dividend transaction is selected, the form shows widgets
for Date, Amount, Total and Status, which is what is expected. If that
transaction is then opened for editing, additional widgets show for
Security, Quantity and Price, which aren't expected for a cash
dividend....).

When I use very similar code in a different class, the issue is much
more pronounced.

So, as 4.7.0 is no longer a target, I've gone back to the beginning -
again - to investigate.

Thanks