[Kmymoney-devel] 2 bugs in the latest stable release (importing CSV files)

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 03:40:37 UTC 2013

When I import a CSV file (generated from LibreOffice Calc), KMM screws up
the amounts.

For example, the CSV file has 3 columns in LibreOffice Calc

Date  -  Payee  -  Amount

In the exported CSV file, for example the first few lines would look like:

2012-12-04,"Seller ABC",-$16
2012-12-14,"The corner store",-$13.50
2013-01-16,"Best restaurant in town",-$8.00

Bug #1:  Once imported, KMM would create a new payee called "Seller ABC"
even if this payee already exists and has the IDENTICAL same name.  Then
KMM will map the transaction of $16 to it. Because of that, importing a
large CSV file is impractical as it basically doubles the payee list.

Bug #2:  Transactions that have digits (not integers) confuses KMM

For example, on the above example of transactions:

-$16 will be imported correctly as a debit of $16.00
-$13.50 will be imported incorectly as a debit of $1350.00
-$8.00 will be imported incorectly as a debit of $800.00

I have tried importing the CSV without dollar signs, this makes no
difference whatsoever...

Bug #3:  When importing more than a few transactions, KMM seems to think
unrelated transactions are associated to certain scheduled transactions.

After hitting the Import button and selecting the account to import the
transactions into, I am presented with a popup for each of the 1000
transactions to import, with KMM asking:

"KMyMoney has found a scheduled transaction named Provincial Income
Deductions which matches an imported transaction. Do you want KMyMoney to
enter this schedule now so that the transaction can be matched?"

There are no reasons for this message to appear.  The payees are TOTALLY
different (no similarity whatsoever like "Donut Restaurant" & "Renovation
Store"), the only common point is the account where the scheduled
transaction is programmed to apply to and the account I want to import to
from the CSV...

Because of the severity, as of now, the only choice I have is to import all
1242 transactions by hand, the CSV import plugin is not functional at all..