[Kmymoney-devel] Feedback - Funds

Nathan Schwarz npschwarz at cableone.net
Mon Mar 25 19:52:11 UTC 2013

I have used kmymoney for a few years for my checkbook but have never
been able to use it for my mutual funds and IRA portfolio.  I checked it
again last night and I see some improvements have been made.  However,
KmyMoney still doesn't seem to handle mutual funds properly.

I have set up a mutual fund institution and using the ledger I input the
sale price as a total price for all funds ($2500).  I then input the
number of shares purchased (19.901)   (Share price should be $125.620.
It would seem more logical to input the sale price and calculate shares
purchased).

  After inputting the total purchase price and the shares purchased and
selecting 'enter' the first thing I notice in the ledger is that my
quantity has been rounded down from 19.901 shares to 19.90 shares.  The
second thing I notice is that due to this rounding change the price has
been calculated to be $125.6281 instead of the the actual price listed
on the stock exchange of $125.620.  Finally in the Balance column and
its total at the bottom it shows my quantity of 19.90 shares as the
total dollar amount instead of the actual dollar amount of $2500.  This
incorrect total of $19.90 is then carried to the home page as well
instead of showing the actual value of the fund.  I think a total # of
shares owned is vital information, but KmyMoney seems to be mixing it up
in place of the $ amount.

Please have someone well versed in mutual fund ownership look into this
section of the software to ensure it is handling mutual funds properly.

Thank you
Nathan