[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney SPECIAL Video Review

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 12 22:05:26 UTC 2013

On 2013.03.11 02:30, Jake Carter wrote:
[snip...]

Thanks for the review.  However, I do have a few comments.

First, if I go to your site, and search on "money" KMyMoney is not
anywhere in the resulting list.   I have to explicitly search on
kmymoney.  It is also not even on the list of "personal finance"
applications.

Second, there is an existing port of KMyMoney for the Mac, so you might
include it there also, although the install is obviously different.
(There are other folks on this list who have more info about Mac setup
than I do.)

Third (just a future) there is someone working on an Android port,
although it is only in alpha state, as far as I remember hearing.

[snip...]
>  The application's installation file for Windows is close to 50MB in
> size. Run this file once the download completes and you will be
> presented with a setup wizard that will guide you through the
> installation process. When you’re done and you launch KMyMoney for
> the first time, you will be presented with a “Welcome to
> KMyMoney!†prompt that will guide you through the initial program
> setup. You will get to enter some personal data, select a currency,
> select accounts, and set some program preferences.

It would probably be worth mentioning here that KMyMoney is part of the
KDE software collection, so the minimal Windows install does include
some other underlying parts of KDE.  KDE is primarily a Linux based
platform, but (perhaps with some limitations) it is also available for
Windows and Mac.  This provides not only a much larger user base (good
for support) but access to a set of applications that work well
together for a variety of desktop functionality.  Yes, there is a
standalone KMyMoney Windows installer, but you can use the KDE for
Windows installer and pick and choose from a wider variety of apps.
(http://windows.kde.org)

Also - KMyMoney is not "freeware."  If you are going to be posting
software reviews, you really should understand the difference between
"shareware," "freeware," and FOSS (free and open source software) which
is "free" as in "free speech" more than as in "free beer."  For FOSS
software, not only do you not pay for a license, but you can also get a
copy of the source code, so you can see exactly what the software is
doing, or modify it for yourself, if you are so inclined.  Your review
mentions the GPL, which is actually the License.  (See
http://www.fsf.org or Google for more information on FOSS.)

In any case, thanks for a good review.  I'll leave it up to the
developers to decide on linking to your site/review.