[Kmymoney-devel] Feedback

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 10:16:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 21:54:35 +0200
Adrián Chaves Fernández <adriyetichaves at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reviewing the kmymoney.po translation file in trunk, I noticed the
> following translation units:
>
> 	• splitCategory
> 	• splitMemo
> 	• splitAmount
>
> They come from
> https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/office/kmymoney/repository/revisions/master/entry/kmymoney/plugins/csvexport/csvwriter.cpp
>
> I am not sure how to translate these. Could you please provide some
> additional feedback, such as where these strings end up, and which
> limitations there are when writting them (and why)? For example, is
> it safe to translate them using spaces?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian

Hi Adrian

Apologies for causing difficulty.

This is the line in question -
"m_headerLine << QString(i18n("splitCategory")) <<
QString(i18n("splitMemo")) << QString(i18n("splitAmount"));"

I think it best to give a bit of background info. first.  A user
requested that he be able to import his KMM data into a spreadsheet,
for tax analysis or other purposes.  To accomplish that, each
transaction has to be on a single row, with the different data elements
in the columns.  Each transaction can have a number of splits, and each
split may have a category, a memo and an amount, each in its own column.

The fields you have queried are the headings for those columns, to
appear on the spreadsheet.  There can therefore be quite a few columns,
possibly up to about twenty or so.  So, whilst it would be best to
avoid adding spaces, if necessary it may be done.  It would be helpful,
possibly, to consider abbreviating the headings, as long as they can be
reasonably understood.

It may be difficult for me to condense all that into individual i18
comments, but I will try to give better help.  Possibly, I can add
qDebug comments above the line in question.