[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney looses data; and error when using sqlite3 database

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 10:01:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:50:22 +0200 (CEST)
Software at quantentunnel.de wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use "KMyMoney Version 4.6.1, KDE 4.8.5" (copied from KMyMoney's
> About dialog), Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (precise) with gnome, Linux kernel
> 3.2.0-48-generic-pae. My KMyMoney data file is fairly big (213.7 kB)
> and contains 2993 transactions ("Buchungen") and 6361 split
> transactions ("Split-Buchungen").
>
> I encounter a problem, now several times over the last months: some
> data, typically some of the last entered (or reconciled) records get
> lost. They were clearly there when I reconciled (as I mark each
> reconciled line on the hardcopy received from the bank). And when I
> look next time, e.g., three reconciled entries are missing. It is not
> that I did not save the file (otherwise the records would still be
> there but unreconciled). This data loss seems to occur randomly; I
> see no possibility to trigger it at will. Is there a way to create a
> log file to see what happens?

Looking at the size of your data, you're obviously pretty experienced,
so I hope you'll excuse me for asking possibly silly questions.

You say that -
"They were clearly there when I reconciled (as I mark each
> reconciled line on the hardcopy received from the bank). And when I
> look next time, e.g., three reconciled entries are missing. It is not
> that I did not save the file (otherwise the records would still be
> there but unreconciled)"

What if you marked your hardcopy in error?  What if those transactions
weren't actually there because you omitted to save them initially?

Do you have an earlier version of your file which shows them as having
been entered?  It seems a bit strange that apparently it's only recent
transactions that are involved.

Do you/can you keep any input file - I don't know where your data comes
from - whether/how imported.

Might it be an idea to keep a few backup copies to confirm that the
transactions were definitely there at some stage?