[Kmymoney-devel] Installation problem with the latest stable release

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jan 11 15:01:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Friday 11 January 2013 00:05:58 Allan wrote:

> Ah, another family history buff, eh!  Welcome to KMyMoney.  See further
> comments below.
>
> On 10/01/13 22:34, John Owen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I normally avoid SourceForge installations as they "always" seem to
> > presume a level of knowledge which I don't have.  I've persevered in
> > this case as I am so frustrated with trying to find a decent piece of
> > Personal Accounting software to replace the one I've used for 19 years
> > but which will not run on 64bit Windows.
> >
> > I am using Windows 7 and I am trying to install KMyMoney.  I have gone
> > through a process with kdewin-installer-gui-latest.exe which apparently
> > installed an environment which this programme needs.
>
> I'm not an expert on the Windows side, but pending a more informed
> response, I think I need to stop you now.  So far, you're on the right
> lines, but not from here on.
>
> >  Various links
> >
> > suggested I download kmymoney-4.6.3.tar.bz2.sig which I did but I don't
> > know how to run it (or what it does).  I've now found
> > kmymoney-4.5.3.tar.bz2 and have downloaded it.  After experimenting, I
> > found the Wizard in WinRAR to extract it but am now stuck as to what to
> > do next.  There doesn't appear to be an exe file to run.  Any help you
> > can give me would be appreciated.
>
> The versions you mentioned, I believe, are Linux versions, not Windows.

The files mentioned contain the source code which is used for all operating
systems KMyMoney runs under. That is why stopping you is a good idea at this
point. You would need some developer foo and tools (compilers, linkers, etc.)
to continue in order to convert the source code to a working program. This is
not an easy task on Windows as far as I have heard (not having a MS-Windows
affinity myself I can't really tell).

An optimist laughs to forget.
A pessimist forgets to laugh.