[Kmymoney-devel] Feedback

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 11:37:19 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 02:59, Elton Johnson wrote:
> I have been looking at the KMYMoney and it looks like a great software.
> I used Quicken until 1997 and got tired of their requirements and quirks.
>
> I have several questions
>
> 1.I had a hard time finding who to contact with a question

Seems like you've succeeded!  There is another list for user, rather
than developer questions - KMyMoney Users' mailing list
kmymoney at kde.org, plus a forum.  This (old) thread gives some idea of
how they fit together - http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=8043 .

> 2.It was mentioned about KDE ready desktop or something to that effect.
> Is that something I am supposed to download before the KMyMoney.
>
> 3.I saw the mention of a keycode for developers (which I’m not). Is the
> user’s software encrypted or there is no cloud based interaction for
> users so it is not needed?

I'm not fully clued up on this, as I don't use it, but it is possible
for users to encrypt their file.  I think the developers have access to
a key, for emergency use, should the user lose his/her key.

> 4.I have Windows 7: I am uncertain which of 2 versions I should download
>
> a.4.6.3 for KDE Platform 4 (stable) or
>
> b.4.6.2 for your Windows PC

I'd be inclined to go for 4.6.3,as it is the current stable version.

> 5.Are the plug-ins for users also? I’m particularly interested in the
> print checks and calendar.

All the plugins ship as part of KMyMoney, and the user may enable or
disable them, according to their requirement.

> a.I saw the one for KBanking to apparently allow for account downloads
> from the banks. This was something always quirky with Quicken and
> produced more screwups to correct than help. I have accounts at 4
> different banks. All but one provide comma delimited CSV downloads. Is
> that what the KBanking does? Or is it through Quicken files.

KBanking is used when importing OFX files, which some banks provide.  It
seems how much success you have depends on how well your bank has
implemented their offering.  There is another plugin - aqbanking - which
is not part of KMyMoney, but may be used with it.  I'm not sure, but
think it is more used in Europe as it deals also with particular
protocols agreed there, as well as OFX.

CSV import is separate, and handled by a different, provided, plugin.
The version in 4.6.3 is more advanced, and allows the user to have
separate 'profiles' for each bank/broker, enabling their column formats,
etc. to be individualised. It handles bank and investment files, and,
while it is fairly flexible, it is also fairly new, and it could be that
a particular format is not presently handled correctly.  However, its
developer (me) will endeavour to assist.

The other format provided is QIF.

> b.By the way as Feedback I think allowing CSV updates would be a great
> idea. Even if not directly into the KMyMoney program there could be a
> simple form to cut and paste the data into the correct columns and then
> import into KMyMoney. Probably too complex for many users but I would
> like it.

CSV import works directly with free-standing downloaded files.  In
general, there is no need to cut and paste the data into the correct
columns.  The only time editing - buit-in - may be required is when
importing investment files.  Because there is no standard, a security
name in the importing file may not be exactly the same as what you have
setup in KMyMoney, and a ticker symbol is required for each security,
although it does not need to be an 'official' one - you may invent your
own, as long as it is used consistently and is unique.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Allan