[Kmymoney-devel] Review Request: Adding Tags to Kmymoney - first draft

Alessandro Russo axela74 at yahoo.it
Thu Oct 25 22:54:32 UTC 2012

Il 25/10/2012 22:00, Mikael Kujanpää ha scritto:
> lauantai, 20. lokakuuta 2012 23:09:16 Alessandro Russo kirjoitti:
>
>> I'd appreciate if somebody can try to apply the changes and build the
>> modified kmymoney and make some tests.
>
> I hear you!
>
> I downloaded the latest source from git and applied your patch.
> Everything
> went smoothly. After launching KMyMoney, I was surprised how complete
> your
> patch is already, great work! I did take only a quick look, so I
> didn't spot
> very much, but I will try to test more fully during the weekend. Here
> are my
> notes:

Thanks for the testing!

> - Tag icon is missing in the left panel (I'm sure you are aware of
> this, but
> still thought to mention it.)
Yes, I'm not a graphic so I'll wait for somebody to create one! :-)

> - Adding tag. I think it would be more user friendly to have first
> text field
> where tag name can be written, and then button to add it. If I understood
> correctly, now I have to first add the tag, then select it and rename
> it to
> the name I want to use. Also, having filter field is great, but for
> now it
> looked like the field was meant for that kind of use that I described. So
> adding my first tag felt a bit weird when I wrote "tag" to the field,
> then
> pressed +-button and ended up having the text field cleared and having
> tag
> named "New Tag".
This is the same behavior of Payee, usually the user create a new tag
when adding a new transaction so I don't know if we need to improve
this. If we do it we should also change how we add a new payee.

> - Open existing transaction, select tag for it, but cancel immediately
> the
> editing => KMyMoney crashes.
I tried to replicate it but I can't see any crash. Can you re-check it
again? Maybe you did some other things before the cancel that caused the
crash. Did you applied the last revision of the patch?

> - Splipts. I recall you asked in some post how these should work. I think
> there should be possibility to add different tags for different splits
> into
> the same transaction. For example, let's assume I have two cars and
> tags for
> them named "Car 1" and "Car 2". I also have category "other car
> accessories".
> Now I buy new windscreen wipers for both cars at the same time. So I
> will end
> up to have one transaction with two splits, so in order to get correct
> expence
> report for both cars, I need to have ability to tag splits separately.
I'm thinking to leave this to a new patch, in the meantime the user
could simply make 2 separate transaction. The patch is really complex
and large, so I think it will be better to test it and ship it.
After that I would like to improve the split dialog, I never liked it
too much...

> That was based on quick look. Feedback from reviewing and testing
> tends to be
> always negative since it points what is not working as expected, so I
> want to
> emphasize that I was really positively surprised how comprehensively
> you have
> already managed to get the tags to work. Keep up the good work.
Thanks a lot! I'm not an expert programmer, I wrote some little programs
using kde libraries several years ago and some other python programs
that use pyqt, so writing this patch has been for me really instructive.