[Kmymoney-devel] Adding tags: any testers?

Mikael Kujanpaa mahead80 at nic.fi
Thu Nov 8 21:11:40 UTC 2012

maanantai, 5. marraskuuta 2012 19:26:56 Alessandro Russo kirjoitti:
> Hi,
> my patch is complete (almost, but we decided to commit it and make some
> other changes after that), can somebody test it?

Hi, I took some time and tested it while inputting my transactions. Here are
my notes:

- After I edit the splits, the focus jumps directly into Memo-field, skipping
the tags field. If split-window is not displayed, the tab order works as
expected.

- I didn't manage to get it crash anymore, so that seems to be okay now.

- If I enter already existing tag twise, it filters the tag from the list,
which is good. But one can still write the same tag name and it will be asked
if tag (with the same name) should be created. I think this should not be
possible, unless tags could be grouped in hierarchy (and even then same name
shouldn't be possible in same group).

- Tag functionality seems to be missing from loan wizard. I tested editing the
existing loan, but I guess same applies to new loans as well. Since this is
probably big change, I think current patch should be committed before
implementing this.

Have you decided should tags be simple lists or two dimensioned hierarchy? I
bet list is far simpler to implement, and probably meets most users needs too.
But two dimension hierarchy would allow more advanced reporting, since tags
could be used as grouping option instead of simple filtering.

For example, I could have hierarchy called "Cars", and under that I could have
all my cars listed (if I just had more than one :) ). Then, I could have
hierarchy called "Family", and there would be my wife, my son and me. In this
way:

Cars:
 - Porche
 - Ferrari
 - BMW

Family:
 - Wife
 - Son
 - Me

Now, I could tag my transactions from these two groups (but only one car and
one family member per transaction). Let's assume there is bought some gasoline
for the BMW that my son is gonna use. I would have transaction from category
"Gasoline" and tag it with "Son" and "BMW". Then there is another transaction
for gasoline, this time with tags "Son" and "Ferrari".

If I then select my son as a filter criterion in the reports, the reporting
engine could generate automatically this kind of report:

Expences:
  Gasoline, BMW
  Gasoline, Ferrari

In single dimension model I couldn't separate the expences by other tag group,
so I would just have one line "Gasoline" without knowing how much was spent
for BMW and how much was for the Ferrari. (Sure, I could have categories named
"Gasoline, BMW" and "Gasoline, Ferrari", but that would be bad idea because I
would end up having tens of gasoline categories after some years when my cars
have changed several times.)

Disclaimer: this wasn't my idea. My co-worker (who has worked several years
doing different kind of corporate reports) mentioned it when I told him about
your work. This might be too overkill for personal accounting application, but
I thought still to mention it because I think my friend had a good point why
tag hierarchies can be useful.

--
Mikki