[Kmymoney-devel] Floating point exception, Gnucash importer

Cristian Oneț onet.cristian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:08:40 UTC 2012

2012/3/21 Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>:
> I am a long-time gnucash user, but thought I'd have a look at
> kmymoney. I'm running Arch Linux on an amd64 system with plenty of
> memory and disk-space. I installed kmymoney from the Arch repository
> (v4.6.2), saved a gnucash xml file (I work with the data stored in a
> postgresql db) and tried to import it. During the import kmymoney
> crashed -- floating-point exception. Mindful of Einstein's insanity
> definition (which may not apply to multi-process or multi-threaded
> applications), I tried it again. He was right -- same result. I tried
> to follow the procedure to send a bug report, but it complained that
> the traceback was of no use and threw up its hands. I did some
> googling and found that there have been bugs that produce this
> symptom, one apparently caused by zeros in security prices, leading to
> a div-by-zero error. But from what I read, that error appears to have
> been fixed awhile ago.
>
> I'm happy to submit a bug report, but right now, the extent of what I
> know is "tried to import gnucash file, poof, floating-point
> exception". I can't, or won't, send you my gnucash file for obvious
> reasons. If you have suggestions for how to gather more information
> that might help you debug this, I'm happy to try to get it for you if
> it doesn't involve too much of my time. I am a very experienced
> software developer and manager (now retired), so perhaps we could try
> building kmymoney from source, with symbols, and I could run it under
> gdb and get you a real traceback?

Hi,

For now the best information would be a full stacktrace of the crash.
You can build a debug version by passing -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE ="Debug"
when configuring, then build, install and reproduce the crash. If the
stacktrace will contain debug information even DrKonqi will let you
report the bug or you can just send it to this list.

Regards,
Cristian