[Kmymoney-devel] Floating point exception, Gnucash importer

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 13:57:53 UTC 2012

I am a long-time gnucash user, but thought I'd have a look at
kmymoney. I'm running Arch Linux on an amd64 system with plenty of
memory and disk-space. I installed kmymoney from the Arch repository
(v4.6.2), saved a gnucash xml file (I work with the data stored in a
postgresql db) and tried to import it. During the import kmymoney
crashed -- floating-point exception. Mindful of Einstein's insanity
definition (which may not apply to multi-process or multi-threaded
applications), I tried it again. He was right -- same result. I tried
to follow the procedure to send a bug report, but it complained that
the traceback was of no use and threw up its hands. I did some
googling and found that there have been bugs that produce this
symptom, one apparently caused by zeros in security prices, leading to
a div-by-zero error. But from what I read, that error appears to have
been fixed awhile ago.

I'm happy to submit a bug report, but right now, the extent of what I
know is "tried to import gnucash file, poof, floating-point
exception". I can't, or won't, send you my gnucash file for obvious
reasons. If you have suggestions for how to gather more information
that might help you debug this, I'm happy to try to get it for you if
it doesn't involve too much of my time. I am a very experienced
software developer and manager (now retired), so perhaps we could try
building kmymoney from source, with symbols, and I could run it under
gdb and get you a real traceback?

/Don Allen