[Kmymoney-devel] Git query

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 21 13:45:11 UTC 2012

On 2012.02.21 08:23, Allan wrote:
> My git branch presently shows :-
>
> # Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 3 commits.
>
> These are :-
>
> a) The first commit of the csv plugin profiles mod.
> b) The latest commit of the csv plugin profiles mod.
> c) A single line removal.
>
> Commit b) supersedes commit a).  How do I safely remove it without
> touching the others?  I'm assuming it's 'git revert <name>', but will
> that leave the later ones intact for subsequent pushing?  Don't want
> to foul up.

I've just read the O'Reilly git book, and I'm still not sure I
understand it all.  One main thing that is not obvious at first is that
git commits are really independent objects within the git store.  They
include both the state of the code and pointers to the previous commit,
unlike earlier systems where there was essentially a single thread of
changes.

My question is whether you really need to remove any commit before
pushing?  Given the nature of git, removing it would leave the store
smaller, but it would also remove a bit of the history.