[Kmymoney-devel] New problem entering investment transaction

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 19:16:58 UTC 2012

On 20/04/12 19:02, Jack wrote:
> I have a dividend reinvestment transaction which I cannot find a way to
> enter. My broker (Merrill Lynch) includes a partial share purchase in
> the value of the transaction, but only indicates the whole number of
> shares purchased. I normally use a category of "partial share purchase"
> to account for the difference between the cost of the whole shares
> purchased and the full amount of the dividend. I just use "add shares"
> when the partials are enough for them to credit me with another whole
> share. However, today I have a dividend which is only enough for a
> partial share. The "reinvest dividend" transaction will not allow 0
> shares. The "dividend" transaction will not allow 0 as the total value
> ($.54 for dividend and -.$54 for partial share purchase). I want to
> record the dividend, but there is no change in number of owned shares or
> in the balance of the brokerage account. Is there any way to do this? I
> don't really think there is any bug, and I'm not sure whether it makes
> sense to file an enhancement request to allow purchase of 0 shares or
> dividend of 0. Is there any way I can do this, or do I have to fudge the
> numbers, adding a whole share and then removing it? Thanks for any
> suggestions.
>
> Jack

It's possible I'm not understanding fully, but it sounds like today
you've received
a dividend.  Can't it just be recorded as such, and transfered into the
brokerage
account.  Similarly for following partial payments.  Then, when Merrill
do cough up
the share, buy it using the funds in the brokerage acount.