[Kmymoney-devel] New problem entering investment transaction

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 20 18:02:47 UTC 2012

I have a dividend reinvestment transaction which I cannot find a way to
enter.   My broker (Merrill Lynch) includes a partial share purchase in
the value of the transaction, but only indicates the whole number of
shares purchased.  I normally use a category of "partial share
purchase" to account for the difference between the cost of the whole
shares purchased and the full amount of the dividend.  I just use "add
shares" when the partials are enough for them to credit me with another
whole share.  However, today I have a dividend which is only enough for
a partial share.  The "reinvest dividend" transaction will not allow 0
shares.  The "dividend" transaction will not allow 0 as the total value
($.54 for dividend and -.$54 for partial share purchase).  I want to
record the dividend, but there is no change in number of owned shares
or in the balance of the brokerage account.  Is there any way to do
this?  I don't really think there is any bug, and I'm not sure whether
it makes sense to file an enhancement request to allow purchase of 0
shares or dividend of 0.  Is there any way I can do this, or do I have
to fudge the numbers, adding a whole share and then removing it?
Thanks for any suggestions.