[Kmymoney-devel] Questions about KMyMoney

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:11:06 UTC 2012

On 16/04/12 04:46, Marek Laane wrote:
> Hi,
> translating KMyMoney I encountered some strings I couldn't understand
> their meaning.
>
> 1. "Returned Capital" - what exactly does it mean? It isn't "return on
> capital", is it?
>
> 2: There was a bunch of strings "shares set to value in split of
> transaction" or "value set to shares in split of transaction" and so on.
> What does that exactly mean? What is set to what? Share isn't here like
> stock but rather like a part, is it?

While the developers are tied up in real life, I'll try and help.

Looking at the qif file importer
mymoneyqifreader.cpp processTransactionEntry(), I see this detail:-
"
TODO (Ace) Deal with currencies more gracefully.  QIF cannot deal with
multiple
   // currencies, so we should assume that transactions imported into a
given
   // account are in THAT ACCOUNT's currency.  If one of those involves
a transfer
   // to an account with a different currency, value and shares should be
   // different.  (Shares is in the target account's currency, value is
in the
   // transaction's)

   s1.m_amount = m_qifProfile.value('T', extractLine('T'));
   tr.m_amount = m_qifProfile.value('T', extractLine('T'));
   tr.m_shares = m_qifProfile.value('T', extractLine('T'));
"

In this case. both 'amount' and 'shares' are set to the same value, but
the comment
above indicates that this is not always so.  It may in some
circumstances be an error, which,
as Jack has pointed out, would be detected in the consistency check.

I hope that doesn't confuse things even more.

Allan