[Kmymoney-devel] Questions about KMyMoney

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 17 02:38:42 UTC 2012

On 2012.04.15 23:46, Marek Laane wrote:
> translating KMyMoney I encountered some strings I couldn't understand
> their meaning.
Hopefully one of the developers can confirm my guesses - I just looked
for the strings in the code, and tried to figure out the context.

> 1. "Returned Capital" - what exactly does it mean? It isn't "return
> on capital", is it?
I only find this in the QIF importer, where it is a possible type of
imported record.  My best guess, without checking on the QIF standard
(is there one?) is that this is not "return on capital" which would be
gain on investment, but literally "returned capital" or a repayment of
the original investment.

> 2: There was a bunch of strings "shares set to value in split of
> transaction" or "value set to shares in split of transaction" and so
> on. What does that exactly mean? What is set to what? Share isn't
> here like stock but rather like a part, is it?
It looks like these are all within the consistency check.  There are
comments in the code referring to currency, so this may refer to cases
where there is a currency conversion, and the two values should be the
same if they are in the same currency.  I know that doesn't really help
with the definition - but I think the "value" is the value of that
split of the transaction, and "shares" is either really a number of
shares of an investment, or else just the value on the other side of
the currency conversion.  I would have to understand the code better to
be sure.

> 3. Also I couldn't understand "Average days". It seems to be
> connected to moving average but what exactly is "average days" you
> can change?
This is only in certain report charts, and it seems to be the number of
days averaged for the moving average.

Please ask again if my explanations only made things less clear.