[Kmymoney-devel] Advantages to saving file as database

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Oct 30 13:39:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

on Sunday 30 October 2011 10:44:41 Tony Bloomfield wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:37:45 -0400
>
> Randy Lutzinger <rlutzinger at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I know that we are also able to save the file as a database. Does
> > saving the file as a database offer any advantages over using the
> > standard file format? Does encryption still work when saved as a
> > database?
>
> The main advantage of the database format is that you could create
> different views into your data using a product such as LibreOffice. You
> can go further if you have any knowledge of the SQL language used with
> relational databases.
>
> There is currently no encryption of the database itself. What I do is
> dump the DB to a file and encrypt that, then delete the DB. When I next
> need it, I decrypt and reload. If you're going to use Mysql, there is a
> script available under kmymoney/contrib/mysqlcrypt.sh which you may find
> useful.

One of the ideas I have in mind is to transform the file based approach into
using a memory only SQLite3 database and de-/encrypt during loading/saving.
But that is something that needs a bit more of investigation. Also, this
approach would not allow to access the data using other tools. It would
simplify programming because we would only have one backend (database).

The amount of experience is directly proportional to
the amount of destroyed equipment.