[Kmymoney-devel] Advantages to saving file as database

Tony Bloomfield tonyb.lx at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 30 09:44:41 UTC 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 11:37:45 -0400
Randy Lutzinger <rlutzinger at comcast.net> wrote:

> I know that we are also able to save the file as a database. Does
> saving the file as a database offer any advantages over using the
> standard file format? Does encryption still work when saved as a
> database?

The main advantage of the database format is that you could create
different views into your data using a product such as LibreOffice. You
can go further if you have any knowledge of the SQL language used with
relational databases.

There is currently no encryption of the database itself. What I do is
dump the DB to a file and encrypt that, then delete the DB. When I next
need it, I decrypt and reload. If you're going to use Mysql, there is a
script available under kmymoney/contrib/mysqlcrypt.sh which you may find
useful.

--
Cheers,
Tonyb