[Kmymoney-devel] Development workflow proposal

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Sat Nov 12 12:21:20 UTC 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Cristian Oneț <onet.cristian at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Saturday 12 November 2011 09:12:22 you wrote:
> > Tags in git are only a reference to a certain commit. Deleting the branch
> > means losing those commits, so you effectively lose the tags.
>
> Aren't also branches just references to certain commits? I believe that
> deleting the branch means deleting the reference and keeping the commit.

There are commits in those branches that are only present there. For
example, most commits to the stable branch in SVN had the same code change
as the HEAD, but the commit message was different. So, in fact, those are
different commits for SVN and git.

So, if you remove those commits, you lose track of most stable-branch
commits.